Become a Ranger or Youth Cadet
Being a Ranger or Youth Cadet is one of the most rewarding endeavors available to men and women in Colorado!
Scroll down on this page to review the requirements and application procedure.
Your First Step: Fill out a simple webform then attend a Troop Meeting!
Attendance at a Troop meeting is usually the best way to learn more about CMR and the application process. To attend a Troop meeting, your first step is to fill out a brief webform. Please include some basic information about yourself, your occupation, background, experience and why you are interested in becoming a Ranger. You will then be contacted by a Ranger from the selected Troop who will provide you with additional information to include the meeting location and your next steps in the process.
There is no obligation when you attend a Troop meeting as a guest!
CLICK HERE or on the square above if you are not using a QR Code Reader app on a smartphone! A new tab or window will open in your web browser with a simple form for you to complete and submit.
LEVELS OF SERVICE: RANGER & YOUTH CADET
Rangers are sworn to support the Constitution and laws of the United States, the Constitution and laws of the State of Colorado and they serve in an armed capacity as law enforcement auxiliaries.
Eligibility & Requirements
1. At least 21 years of age at time of appointment.
2. U.S. citizen or legal resident.
3. High school diploma or equivalent.
4. Valid U.S. Drivers License or state issued ID Card. Valid car insurance for drivers.
5. No felony convictions; no misdemeanor crimes against persons, e.g., assault, domestic violence, theft, etc.; no habitual driving offenses, e.g., multiple speeding tickets within a 12 month period, recent reckless driving, etc. If candidate has prior military service; no military Court Martial Convictions, dishonorable discharge, discharge for mental/behavioral disorder, or “Other than Honorable” military DD214. No illegal drug use. Medical Marijuana (MMJ) and Recreational Marijuana (RMJ) are considered illegal by federal law and their use is not conducive to service in the Mounted Rangers.
6. Complete an extensive background check, to include:
a) Verifiable personal and professional references.
b) Residence history.
c) Work experience.
7. Complete post-conditional psychological screening.
8. Results from a polygraph screening may also be considered
Youth ages 14 - 20 serve in the Colorado Mounted Rangers as Cadets where they can learn about law enforcement and other career opportunities in public safety. Many of the Ranger training programs are available to Cadets and the program is an excellent leadership development pathway.
Eligibility & Requirements
1. At least 14 years of age but under 21.
2. No felony convictions; no misdemeanor crimes against persons, e.g., assault, domestic violence, theft, etc.; no habitual driving offenses, e.g., multiple speeding tickets within a 12 month period, recent reckless driving, etc.
3. Verifiable personal and professional references.